The North Face
The North Face knows that if people stop going outside, their business will suffer. GSG created the “Explore Your Parks” campaign to encourage all Americans to go outdoors, close to home, at state parks. The campaign had multiple elements, including retail, events, social media, and PR. Through the retail program, free state park passes were handed out with purchase in North Face retail stores, and in partner retail stores (such as Gander Mountain, REI, Eastern Mountain Sports). The shopper was given a guide to activities in local parks along with the free entrance pass.
In addition, GSG worked with parks to create “Camping 101” first time camper programs. North Face donated funds to parks to help them create events to encourage first time campers to get out and camp, by providing all the gear (including North Face tents and sleeping bags) and guidance needed for a great camping experience. Park staff led tutorials on how to set up a campsite, how to cook over a campfire, what to do with kids when camping, and how to be safe in the outdoors. North Face staff taught campers how to set up a tent and how to pack a backpack.
- Encourage participation in outdoor recreation
- Drive retail sales
- Hundreds of first time camper events
- 78% said they would camp again
- 87% said they would spend at least $250 on gear
- 370 million earned media impressions
- 160,000 free park passes distributed
- 6.3% average redemption rate on park passes
- $310,000 donated to State Parks to fund camping programs
GSG designed a multi-year program for Coca-Cola to support the preservation of parks by encouraging customers to donate $1 to California State Parks at Stater Bros Markets. Coca-Cola also committed $1 for every $10 of Coca-Cola products purchased. Donations supported environmental causes including planting 1 million trees, and preserving beaches. The program generated over $2.5M in donations to California State Parks, and well over 800 million earned media impressions.
- Create a 6-week cause-marketing promotion at Stater Bros. Markets in Southern California that galvanizes shoppers and employees to support local parks
- Drive incremental Coca-Cola retail displays and product sell through
- Achieve brand lift and positive Public Relations impressions
- Engage employees and key account on a meaningful cause-program that supports the local community
- Engage with consumers in a meaningful way – in store, online, and in-park
- Nearly $2.5M raised over 4 years to support California State Parks, approximately 50% donated from Coca-Cola ($1 for every $10 purchase), and 50% directly donated from shoppers at cash register
- Stater Bros and Coca-Cola Employee Earth Day Volunteer Event was the largest in California State Parks history
- Signiﬁcant increase in all sales metrics: dollar volume lift, unit volume lift, and share of market lift for Stater Bros. during promotional period
- Over 800 million impressions of earned media in support of the program worth $2.5 million in media value
- 217% ROI