The North Face
The North Face knows that if people stop going outside, their business will suffer. GSG created the “Explore Your Parks” campaign to encourage all Americans to go outdoors, close to home, at state parks. The campaign had multiple elements, including retail, events, social media, and PR. Through the retail program, free state park passes were handed out with purchase in North Face retail stores, and in partner retail stores (such as Gander Mountain, REI, Eastern Mountain Sports). The shopper was given a guide to activities in local parks along with the free entrance pass.
In addition, GSG worked with parks to create “Camping 101” first time camper programs. North Face donated funds to parks to help them create events to encourage first time campers to get out and camp, by providing all the gear (including North Face tents and sleeping bags) and guidance needed for a great camping experience. Park staff led tutorials on how to set up a campsite, how to cook over a campfire, what to do with kids when camping, and how to be safe in the outdoors. North Face staff taught campers how to set up a tent and how to pack a backpack.
- Encourage participation in outdoor recreation
- Drive retail sales
- Hundreds of first time camper events
- 78% said they would camp again
- 87% said they would spend at least $250 on gear
- 370 million earned media impressions
- 160,000 free park passes distributed
- 6.3% average redemption rate on park passes
- $310,000 donated to State Parks to fund camping programs